Many beginner artists, who have no experience in oil painting, but have tried other formats of painting, have a fear for it. This is mainly due to less knowledge or misguidance towards the working process of oil paint and the technology behind it. Oil painting has an ample number of features, which differentiate it from other formats of painting, and so it’s a mystery for so many artists.
The oil painting technique seems hard to master, in the initial phase of painting. There’s a learning style with each and every type of painting. However, oil painting is something particularly enormous. This type of technique can only be learned from the painting artist who excels in this art.
Lana Zueva, is one such oil Painting Artist. She is an award-winning oil painting artist from Australia. Heroic paintings speaks a million words. She has the ability to turn anything into a canvas.
There are 5 most important tips for a beginner in oil painting, which will clear all the hesitancy and you will be confident enough to excel in this art.
- Basic Drawing Skills – You don’t need to be an expert to paint with oil. The more you are capable to paint in other formats, the easier it will be to paint with oil. Oil painting creates realistic pictures. It is enjoyable to paint realistic painting. It is recommended to join a realistic drawing group, who meets on a regular interval.
If you don’t have any such group, you can prepare a still-life studio or sit outside and draw anything you desire. Focus on fixing the changes between light and shadow. Ultimately, with every topic, you will strengthen your painting skills.
If you have like painting people, landscape, etc., then practicing this format will up skill you in performing in other areas too. Hence, you will create more dynamic and lively paintings. You will start to see your subjects in new ways. It is very important for the oil painting, to understand the view point. A real and linear perspective are essential too.
- Painting Safely – Before initiation, it is essential to determine the place of painting. Medium like turpentine release toxic gases, leading to dizziness, and fainting. Prolonged use may cause respiratory problems. Turpentine is an inflammable object, it can self ignite, if not disposed properly. Painting in a ventilated space is necessary. If you are devoid of such space, then it’s better to paint with acrylics.
The oil pigment is hazardous to health. It might get absorbed through your skin. So, wearing gloves is always recommended. If you intend to paint with loose pigments, it’s better to wear a respirator. This information might be negligible or obvious, but it prevents harmful exposure to toxic materials.
- Take Your Time to Know the Materials – If you have secured your safety measures, then you can select the tools, which are best for you. An amateur oil painting artist usually fumbles in selecting the right tool. The most essential tool is a brush. Taking a good care of your brush can last a lifetime.
There is a gamut of variation in shape and size of the brushes. You should physically observe them while purchasing. Investment in less expensive paint is recommended, for initial time. Once you get hold in the knowledge of paints, then it’s crucial to invest in better quality paints.
Many artists use acrylic as a primer, but rabbit skin glue can also be used. Turpentine oil is also needed to reduce the density of your paint. Some medium like linseed oil helps your paint to dry faster, while other artists may prefer other kind of oils. No one likes the paint to crack up, to prevent it, oil is spread above acrylics
- Restrict Your Palette – Initially buying every color is a foolish task. Limit your color tubes, with which you want to start. A cadmium orange or ultra marine blue color combo is the perfect choice for beginners. While working with two opposite colors, value is focused more instead of potency. Making your own color is a good practice. If you are not reconciled to color theory, then make a chart to see how your color get mixed.
- Painting Same Subject Repetitively – Sticking to paint the same subject for prolonged time, relieves your pressure of what is going into the image, rather your creative thinking will enhance. You have to pay full attention to each and every brush stroke. Motions which a painter performs on the canvas, turns it into a unique thing.
A painter’s style can be as complex as the matter they are painting. When you work on wet-on wet style, it is difficult to create a realistic picture illution, then the technique and motion of the painter becomes essential. Sometimes an artist paints a painting to tell a story rather than expressing narratives.
The crucial element in oil painting artwork is an exorbitant mood and painting desire. An optimistic attitude is the main element behind every work. An oil painting remains intact for centuries, without any damage to its beauty and quality. Move forward with enthusiasm by daily trialing your painting style to be an expert in this oil painting style